BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thoughts from "Miss Updike"

I am afraid that I have been sadly neglecting my poor little blog, but "Miss Updike" has been subbing at school a GREAT deal this year. That may seem a pathetic excuse, but subbing does keep me very busy. So far I have been the Alternative Education teacher, the P.E. teacher, the Art teacher, the Second Grade teacher, and a cook in the school kitchen. Sometimes the teachers ask me if I'm getting a personality disorder. :) Not yet. Truth be told, I love my little Indians. (The school where I teach is made up of Native American students.)

This year I have taught the high school more than the little guys, and that has been quite the experience. I find that I have a very hard time relating to the older kids. They are so different! One thirteen year old girl wrote a paper for English class about her struggle with thoughts of suicide. When I was thirteen I . . . was still playing with my dolls. What kind of life must children like that lead? What sort of hurts have they suffered? Sometimes, I can literally see the pain written in their eyes. It is so frustrating to be condemned to silence on all matters concerning God. But, at least I can pray for the students. And, I can sing. :) Once, on the school playgroud, I sang "Jesus Loves the Little Children" while I was pushing kids on the swings. Who knows what God can do? After all, He's Awesome!

Outside of school, life has been drifting by. After passing my English Comp. test and therefore reaching the half way point with college, I decided to take a little time off. Instead of Psychology and all those other horrid subjects, I have been doing what I wanted to do all along. I have been WRITING! I love it.

It has been a delightful Autumn thus far. After the painful and difficult summer voyage, Autumn seems like a sweet island oasis. Life is good because God is good. I am so happy!

Have a wonderful day!!!

1 comments:

Kyle said...

Congrats on passing English Comp. I so knew you were going to pass that one. I survived with a 63.

I'm actually 2 tests away from graduating which is cool. But maybe I'll fail one and mess everything up.

It's so nice to take a break, however long, from school. Alaska each year has been really good for that reason, amoung thousands of others.