I have been given a babysitting job. I've had it for a while now. In the beginning it was difficult. I had not known the family long before I started babysitting for them. They were strangers to me, and it was odd to go into their home, eat their food, and dress their children.
Having been a substitute teacher for six years now, I have moments where I get sick of taking care of other people's children and just ache to have kids of my own. I have also wondered if it's wrong for me to enable a mommy to leave her kids. I still struggle with that from time to time.
The two children, a little girl and a little boy are three and one respectively. They are precious children, but for a while, I didn't know them. I didn't know the little girl who wanted to hug me and got mad at me if I wasn't paying one-on-one attention to her. I didn't know the baby boy who wanted me to cuddle him and rock him to sleep and kiss his dimpled face. I felt like such a trespasser. I didn't know these children. I didn't know their parents. The little faces longing to be kissed weren't mine to kiss. They belonged to another woman, and when I cuddled them close, I felt like I was invading another's territory.
One day, I was holding the little boy. All at once I realized that, right or wrong, at this moment, this was where I was. I realized that if I was doing wrong by aiding and abetting a mom to leave her children, God would make it clear to me in His time. I realized that I had a command from God to do whatever I do, heartily, for Him. I realized that, in a small way, for a small moment, these kids belonged to me. The baby sitting in my lap was mine to kiss and cuddle. His parents had surrendered that territory to me as long as I was with their children.
When I realized all that, all the reservations I had felt disappeared. I cuddled the baby close to me and kissed his face with reckless abandon. Because for now, he and his sister belonged to me.
And so I kiss and cuddle them. I throw them high into the air and catch them again. I play with them, I read to them, I sing to them. I tell them about Jesus. Every week, for two days, it's my little girl, my baby, and me. And God sees that it is good.
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
My Baby
lovingly created by Dawna at 10:18 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment